Thursday, September 30, 2010

NAH-NAH-NA-BOO-BOO...

"What do you have for snack today, Sarah," Jacob, the boy that spit when he talked because he said his S's with his tongue (my mom called it a list I think), whispered to the blonde haired girl sitting accross from him.  She rolled her eyes and pulled out a small blue bag from her desk.  Its something cruncy, I thought as I reached into my desk and touched my snack.  Yup, still there. 

Jacob turned his attention to the chunky new kid who always seemed to have a sweaty red face to match his fiery red hair.  "What do you have for snack Aaron?" He pulled out a bag of baby carrots, looking sad.  Poor kid.  His mom must have packed that for him. 

The teacher finally finished handing everyone a papertowel and any minute she would tell us it was time for snack.   I had kept my snack hidden from everyone all morning long. It was really hard to do, but I did it because I knew everyone would want it.  I could feel my feet get all tingley at the thought of everyone getting all googly eyed at mine. Today, I had the best snack ever!


Maybe it was just yesterday or maybe it was years ago, but at some point you had the biggest, juciest secret ever and you had to hold it in.  Every time you'd think about it you would get butterflies, your eyes got all dreamy, and you couldn't stop smiling.  You know that secret I'm referring to.  Well damn it...that's me.  I have a secret to tell and it's killing me!

I have this tendency to get really random ideas and then tell them to the nutty people bothering to listen (which, might I ask why? I mean seriously people, have we not figured me out yet?).  But in the midst of me visualizing and blabbing, my get up and go gets lost somewhere and whatever I planned on doing is no longer top of mind.  I swear I have gained and lost the same 10 pounds for the past ten years.  I bought infomercial stuff, exercise videos, weird contraptions, and special foods--each time swearing to my husband (who gave me the 'you know I'm not spending anymore money on weight loss stuff right' riot act not long ago) that this was the thing that would work.  Uhhhh, I'm still fat.  Yea, yea, I know--some people don't like that word, but lets face it--I am and not because the goofy little government chart says so.  What happens between the time when I get an idea, the time I tell it, and the time the goal set goes floating in the wind with the rest of my random hopes and dreams?

We have all heard the birthday wish superstition: If you tell your wish it won't come true.  While that might seem like a really stupid thing to say when an 85 year old is blowing out the candles on his cake and all he's wishing for, really, is to be able to have enough breath to blow out the damn candles in the first place, it does kind of ring true--just a tad.  What if things don't tend to come to pass because we open our mouths too much?  What would happen if I just shut up and did rather than planned and talked? I have never tried it (the birthday wish thing or the keeping my mouth shut thing), but I think this go-round I will.  No one quite knows of my plans to run the PRR (Peachtree Road Race) in July, and I totally want to keep it that way.  I may just accomplish something by keeping my mouth shut afterall.

The Runner




No comments:

Post a Comment

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods